Please note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Making Magic workshop at the Highlights Foundation has been postponed to April 2021. The Elixir: France retreat has been postponed to June 2021. For now, the Ghosts, Witches & Craft retreat in Salem is still on in August, but we are monitoring the situation and will reassess in the coming weeks.
If you would like to book Nova to lead a writing workshop or present at your conference, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Want to know what it’s like to work with Nova on your novel? Check out some testimonials.
Sign up for Nova’s writing workshop mailing list to be notified of new workshops!
August 2020: Witchy Writing in Salem…
August 6-9, 2020, Nova and Author, Medium, and Intuitive Healer Holly Raychelle Hughes are joining forces once more, after their first successful co-led ghostly writing retreat in Charleston this past summer. Now they are headed to Salem, Massachusetts, for Ghosts, Witches, and Craft: A Salem Writing Retreat and are hosting the retreat at the Hawthorne Hotel, a famously haunted hotel in downtown Salem. As of January 2020, we are fully booked. We are now only accepting applications for the scholarship and waitlist. More info here.
April 2021: Making Magic at Highlights…
April 22–25, 2021, Anna-Marie McLemore and Nova will be offering a special workshop at the Highlights Foundation. It’s called Making Magic: Writing and Refining Fantastical and Otherworldly Stories. Spaces are limited and you can register right now if you want to join! This workshop will be co-led by Anna-Marie and Nova, and they will be offering craft talks, conversations, and magical generative writing exercises and prompts. They will also be welcoming two special guest speakers, Emily X.R. Pan and Publisher & Editor at Algonquin Young Readers Elise Howard, who will be sharing their magical wisdom with the attendees. Optional round-table critiques led by Meera Trehan and Rajani LaRocca are possible, and every attendee will get an individual meeting with either Nova or Anna-Marie to discuss your writing ideas and goals. This workshop was rescheduled from 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was previously sold out, but contact Highlights to see if new spaces will come open.
June 2021: Elixir Retreat in France…
June 15–22, 2021, Angelella Editorial is hosting their first-ever Elixir Writing Retreat in Campbon, France, and Nova will be on faculty, offering craft talks and writing opportunities. She will also be available for manuscript reads for an additional fee. Applications are now open for the retreat and spots are limited! For more information about this week-long retreat in a château in France (!), and to apply, visit their website. This workshop was rescheduled from 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There may new new open spots for 2021, and you can apply here.
- Blue Stoop YA Novel Weekend Intensive: April 6–7, 2019. Indy Hall, Philadelphia, CA. Sponsored by Blue Stoop.
- Djerassi YA Novel Writing Workshop: May 4–10, 2019. Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- Ghosts, Haunts, and Haints: Paranormal Writing Weekend: June 28–30, 2019, Charleston, South Carolina. Co-led with intuitive and medium Holly Raychelle Hughes.
- Djerassi YA Novel Alumni Reunion Workshop: April 16–21, 2018. Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- New England SCBWI Conference: April 21–23, 2017. Sheraton Monarch Place, Springfield, MA. Conference faculty. Workshop leader of two first pages workshops.
- Djerassi 2017 YA Novel Writing Workshop: June 19–24, 2017. Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- SCBWI 46th Annual Summer Conference: July 7–10, 2017. JW Marriott at LA LIVE, Los Angeles, CA. Conference faculty. Workshop leader of two Monday intensives.
- Highlights Foundation Books with Bite Workshop: October 4–8, 2017. The Highlights Foundation, Honesdale, PA. Co-taught with Micol Ostow.
- Djerassi 2016 YA Novel Writing Workshop: March 6–12, 2016. Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- Djerassi YA Novel Alumni Reunion Workshop: March 17–23, 2016. Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- Highlights Foundation Books with Bite Workshop: October 19–23, 2016. The Highlights Foundation, Honesdale, PA. Co-taught with Micol Ostow.
- Djerassi 2015 YA Novel Writing Workshop: June 21–26, 2015, Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- Columbia University Young Adult Novel Writing Workshop: July 6–August 12, 2015. Columbia University, School of the Arts Writing Program, New York, NY.
- Highlights Foundation Books with Bite Workshop: September 16–20, 2015, The Highlights Foundation, Honesdale, PA. Co-taught with Micol Ostow.
- A Week in Residency with Nova Ren Suma Workshop: November 8–14, 2015, the Writing Barn, Austin, TX.
- Djerassi Writes: YA Novel Workshop: Feb. 9–14, 2014, Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- Djerassi Writes: YA Novel Workshop (second session): June 22–27, Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA.
- The Craft of Creativity: The Inaugural Showcase Featuring the Master Class Room Instructors: Sept. 8, The Writers Room, New York, NY.
- Highlights Whole Novel Workshop with Sarah Aronson and Nancy Werlin: Sept. 10–11, Highlights Foundation, Honesdale, PA. Special guest author.